Em. Prof. Robert Cliquet
- Ph.D. Biological Anthropology
- M.Sc. Biology
- Emeritus professor of the University of Ghent, Department of Population Studies
- Honorary director general of the Population and Family Study Centre (CBGS), Brussels
- Expert and evaluator for the European Commission and Chair of panels
- Senior advisor to Population and Social Policy Consultants, Brussels
- Directed or participated in several international research projects in particular in the domain of population and family development and policy
- Organized several population surveys on reproductive and relational behaviour
- Initiator of the Fertility and Family Survey in Europe for which he drafted the theoretical framework (UN ECE)
- One of the founders of the monograph series European Studies of Population
- As a consultant to the United Nations and governmental expert, was involved in the preparation of the UN world population conferences in 1974, 1984 and 1994.
- Acted as chairman of the United Nations Commission on Population and Development in 1999
- Chaired the European Population Committee (CAHP) of the Council of Europe from 2000 to 2002
- Published close to 200 scientific papers and several books on population and family issues and on global and regional population policy issues
- Cliquet, R. (2003), Population Trends and their Sensibility to Policy Measures. Committee on Migration, Refugees and Population, Parliamentary Assembly, Council of Europe. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Avramov, D., R. Cliquet (2003), Economy of Time and Population Policy: Rethinking the 20th Century Life Course Paradigm in the Light of Below-replacement Fertility. Zeitschrift für Bevölkerungs-wissenschaft, 28, 2-4, 905-938.
- Cliquet, R. (2003), Major Trends Affecting Families in the New Millennium: Western Europe and North America. In: United Nations, Major Trends Affecting Familiesz. A Background Document. Prepared by the Programme on the Family. New York: United Nations, pp. 1-26.
- Cliquet, R. (2000), Generations and Gender Programme: Synthesis and Assessment of the Documentation and the Discussions. In: United Nations Economic Commission for Europe and United Nations Population Fund. Exploring Future Research and Data Collection Options. New York and Geneva: United Nations, pp. 145-166.
- Cliquet, R. (1998), Below-Replacement Fertility and Gender Politics. In: A. Somit, S.A. Peterson, V.S.E. Falger, P. Meyer , J.M.G. Van der Dennen (Eds.), Sociobiology and Politics. Research in Biopolitics, Vol. 6. Stamford, Conn.: JAI Press, pp. 91-118.
- Cliquet, R. K. Thienpont (1995), Population and Development: A Message from the Cairo Conference. Dordrecht, Boston, London: Kluwer Academic Publishers